OORUFC Match Report
2nd February 2013

Click the pic for more photos

OORUFC 48 vs 10 Halifax Vandals

After two weeks without a game due to the weather 'Ensians started the match at breakneck speed scoring two unconverted tries in the first seven minutes opening up a 10 - nil lead. The first was scored by Declan Jackson following a fine run and the second by Luke Cowdell who powered in from 25 metres after a fine passing movement.

Try as they might Halifax were unable to match the 'Ensians .At the first scrum 'Ensians won the ball against the head and Sam Featherstone was outstanding in the lines out.

Ensians were awarded a penalty after 22 minutes on their own ten metre line and smart thinking by Rob Arbuckle resulted in a quick tap by him followed by a mighty 25 metre run through the Halifax defence and a neat pass to Josh Howarth, who ran thirty metres to score a try converted by Kristian Keinhorst [17-nil].Another excellent try followed after 33 minutes. This started when Sam Featherstone took a lineout ball on the Halifax throw; the ball was again taken by Rob Arbuckle who made valuable ground and the ball passed along the line for another superb try by Luke Cowdell converted by Kristian Keinhorst to make a half time score of 24 points to nil in favour of the 'Ensians

The first 14 minutes of the second half were played at a frantic pace and 'Ensians would have been better calming the game down a little especially as Vandals were defending well. However after 14 minutes Toby Balthrop gained the ball in a ruck made much ground and passed to man of the match Sam Featherstone who raced 22 metres to score a try converted by Kristian Keinhorst [31-nil].More was to come two minutes later when Tobias Gill beat the defence in a 40 metre sprint to score a super try again converted by Kristian Keinhorst to make the score 38 pts to nil.

Halifax were still trying hard and spent some time in the Ensians 22. The home team gave away a string of penalties culminating in a try from a maul by Halifax on the Ensians line. Ensians had to defend strongly and good tackling in which Skipper Ieuan Cranswick was prominent and fine forward play kept them at bay.

Ensians scored two more unconverted tries in two minutes. The first came from a penalty to 'Ensians which was kicked into touch and from the lineout the forwards drove over for Sam Featherstone to score his second try. The second came from a fine run by Dominic Oddy, the forwards took on the ball and Ieuan Cranswick dived over to score.

But the last effort came from the gutsy Halifax Vandals team whose forwards made a last minute drive to score an unconverted try to make a final score of 48 points to 10 points in favour of the 'Ensians.

This was an entertaining game enjoyed by the supporters an will hold the team in good stead for the sterner tasks they will meet in their push for promotion

OORUFC 2ndXV 5 vs 0 Aireborough

The second team won 5 points to nil in a friendly away game against Aireborough 2nds.the try being scored by Andy Bower.