OORUFC Match Report
6th April 2019

OORUFC 14 vs 37 Wath Upon dearne
‘Ensians look to defend home turf for the final time this season

A break down the wing brings smiles to the Ensian supporters
Click for more photos

The Old Otliensians’ pack were looking finish a tough season on a high as they welcomed Wath-Upon- Dearne to Chaffer’s Field.

‘Ensians started ferociously, taking Wath by surprise, and taking an early lead. Good running by winger Matthew Peattie, a clever off-load by Paddy Phipps and a strong burst to the line by Matthew ‘Dredd’ Taylor saw Ensians storm ahead 7-0.

Wath’s reply was equally strong, instantly pushing ‘Ensians back deep into their own 22 and on to a quick answering try. 7-5 within 15 minutes. Game on. Wath pressure continued, with ‘Ensians struggling to find any sort of footing in the game. However, the home side stayed ahead after a missed Wath penalty. ‘Ensians remained defiant, stubbornly preventing Wath from crossing the white-wash - a try-saving tackle by fullback Ronan Maloney meant that ‘Ensians kept their lead past the 25-minute mark. However, Wath would eventually take the lead, as they rode their dominant scrum straight to the line and for their second try.

Just before half-time, tensions began to rise as the game became niggly. The scenes led to a double-yellow card, but both teams were able to put any ill-feeling behind them and carry on with the game. The game continued in the same vain – heavy Wath pressure, and soon the visitors had once again ridden their dominant scrummaging straight to their fourth try, and a 20-7 lead going into the second half.

‘Ensians needed something to get going – and it was fullback Ronan Maloney who delivered. Fancy footwork, fantastic wide running and a quick dish to fly half Will Cooper got ‘Ensians across the line for the second time. With the score at 20-14, ‘Ensians were back in business. However, Wath quickly answered back for the second time in the game, making the score 27-14. From there, things began to fall apart for ‘Ensians – as they allowed Wath to cross the line twice more, with the game finishing at 37-14.

Unfortunately, the last play on Chaffer’s Field this season was a loss, but ‘Ensians will no doubt re-group over summer and will ready to go again next season.

Tiernan Phipps