OORUFC Match Report
24th January 2015

Burley 10 vs 18 OORUFC

click here for more photos

Despite bad conditions through the week, it was a relief to all when the pitch at Burley was deemed playable for this already delayed fixture. Despite the fact that Burley have been struggling in the league of late the visitors were not going to take anything for granted, with Burley having a big forward pack and the pitch been very boggy underfoot.

From the outset it was clear that Ensians would have the edge in the backs but the forwards were going to have to work hard to give them a good platform to play off. Ensians, playing up the considerable slope, fielded the kick off well and worked their way up the pitch through good drives from locks Jack Smith and Ali Campbell. The Burley back row made a good turnover on halfway, however possession was short lived, as fly half Oli Eaves made a great interception to break out into the home 22, some good support play from winger Declan Jackson saw him fall over the line to finish off the break out wide. The conversion was missed and the visitors were 0-5up after a couple of minutes.

Burley were using the slope well, keeping the visitors pinned in their own 22. The home side were pressurising well but some great defence from Eaves and Centres Luke Freer, Nathan Rogers and Open Side Oli Cooper meant Ensians held their lead. Burley were awarded a series of penalties but elected to kick to touch and the visitors defence held firm and home side came away without any points.

The Ensians forward pack was working really hard to provide the platform for the backs with the front row of Josh Dyson, Jim Dyson and Rob Lyon having to work hard against bigger opposition. Stand in Scrum Half Kristian Keinhorst was giving a good service but with the conditions underfoot and the slope the visitors backs were struggling to make ground despite good running from Rogers, winger Dom Oddy and Full Back Connor Bateman.

The home side were really putting Ensians under pressure with strong drives from their forwards and darting runs from their lively Half Backs but again some great defence from the visitors kept them out. Number 8 Rob Arbuckle and Blindside Lee O’Donnell putting in some big hits to keep Burley out. Despite this great defensive effort the sharp Burley Scrum Half took a quick tap penalty and caught the visitors unawares to bring the scores level with the conversion giving them a 7-5 lead around the half hour mark.

The home side went into the break with a slim lead but Ensians were confident with the slope favouring them. At the break Connor Bateman made way for Keinhorst to move to his usual full back position with youngster Sean Leddy coming on at Scrum Half. The visitors made a great start with a fantastic kick off from Freer, allowing the home forwards to pressurise the home side and gaining a turnover penalty. This was converted by Keinhorst and the visitors took a 7-8 lead.

Ensians were now putting the home side under pressure but a series of infringements at the breakdown saw the visitors down to 14 men with a yellow card going to Lock Smith. From the resulting penalty Burley regained a 10-8 lead with a successful conversion on 45 minutes.

Going down a man seemed to spur Ensians on, upping the intensity and pace of the game. Leddy was giving the backs quick ball and they were making good headway with some good lines from Rogers. The forwards were making some good yards through drives from the Dyson brothers, Arbuckle and O’Donnell sucking in the home defence to create space out wide. Burley infringed at the breakdown and the visitors regained the lead with a well struck kick from Keinhorst bringing the score to 10-11 on 50 minutes. Hooker Jim Dyson took a knock so Lyon moved across to Hooker, Arbuckle moving up to prop on the tight head side and Sam Featherstone on in the back row, getting into the swing of things after a long injury lay off.

From the restart Ensians were on the attack again keeping the home defence under pressure especially in the wide channels. Rogers playing out of his skin was carving holes in the Burley back line making great yards. After some great interplay the ball was chipped over the top and winger Oddy grounded the ball, the Burley Full Back had taken out an Ensian player off the ball and the referee awarded a penalty try. Keinhorst converted and the visitors stretched their lead to 10-18. Smith returned to the field with Ensians 10 points better off.

Ensians were using the slope to their advantage with some good kicking from Eaves and Freer keeping the home side pinned in their own 22. Great defence from Cooper, Campbell and Featherstone meant with the ball the Burley were struggling to gain ground as Ensians had in the first half.

Ensians were pressing hard to increase their lead with some great interplay between the backs and forwards and a supply of good quick ball from good rucking, Leddy was really able to get the back line moving, however, Ensians were not clinical and the home side were let off on a couple of occasions.

On 65 minutes the visitors were again down to 14 when O’Donnell was given a yellow after a series of offside penalties in defence. The home side was unable to make the numerical advantage count with some more solid defence from the visitors. The numbers were soon level again after the Burley 6 was Yellow carded after a fracas at the breakdown.

For the rest of the half Ensians had Burley stuck in their own half but were unable to increase that lead any further with the full time whistle going with the score at 10-18. Ensians were happy to come away with a win in conditions that didn’t suit their style of play. All credit goes to Burley who made the visitors work very hard for every point.

Baildon 1sts/2nds 35 vs 33 Ensians 2nds/Otley Viscounts

With Baildons pitch passed fit at the saturday morning inspection, & with Baildons first team helping out their 2nds as they had no game, the Otley boys new they were in for a hard shift at the coal face. With the ensian / viscount boys pulling off some good wins over the recent weeks, the ingredients were there for a great game & in didn’t disappoint. With the 2nds using the skin tight first teams shirts, there was a lot of muscle on show ! with big eddy showing the guns & abs that only a best kebab diet can buy. With a starting front row of bonner, wheely & boothy, a second row pairing of brett & big eddy & backrow of Duncan, jock & Jamie chapel at eight, the pack had a solid base with the lively Alex burnet at scrum half . The backs had a great mix with pop sensation johnny rah pulling the strings at ten, captain will foster at inside centre keeping young prop, come outside centre paddy phipps in line. On the wings were strip club specialist conner paley & professional tinder dater will Howarth { not just fast on the pitch ], with the experienced alex longstaff at full back. On the bench was big mesh covering 2nd row , ben jones looking after the backrow, luke ash for the wings & ben smith to cover anywhere put. The game started at a good pace with Otley using forwards & backs to drive the ball up the field, as they were playing up the slope & into the wind. The game plan was to keep it tight & drive forward using the forward muscle what was on show. When Baildon got hold of the ball they ran hard & looked for the off loads, from some very strong useful runners , in the forwards & backs. After 5 minutes wheely took a ball against the head, which was fired across the back line to give will Howarth a chance to show his fancy footwork & pace down the wing, but after beating his man he was caught by the man who was going to be the saviour of Baildon on the day, number 17. Baildon then worked their way down the pitch, & from a stolen line out from there influential front jumper, there powerful openside scored. With conversion it was 7 – 0. From the kick off Baildon attacked & after a chip through, their gobby full back picked up but knocked it on over the line much to the delight of the Otley & Baildon crowd !. After clearing to touch, Baildon took the line out, & fired the ball across the backs who ran a great line to score, & with conversion it was 14 – 0. From the kickoff, Otley tore into Baildon, but with big eddy taking one hit to many, after one of his famous trundles, he was replaced by mesh who brought a different aspect to the game. With foz running a great dummy line, paddy came back inside to take a great pop off Johnny to drive up the middle, scattering the defence. With alex burnet using mesh, boothy, bonner & wheely to smash their way over the gain line, the ball was pinged across the backs for will Howarth to round his man & score. Conversion missed, it was 14 – 5. With Baildon straight back on the attack, the back row were kept busy, with jock & Jamie & Duncan settrington tackling & jackling anything that moved. After the ball was turned over, Johnny rah put it up in the air & will Howarth raced through to beat the two Baildon boys to it, but as he set off to the posts he knocked on. After Baildon were penalised for offside, alex , at scrum half quickly tapped & went. After a few drives from the forwards the ball was knocked on. Baildon had a scrum inside there 22, but the powerful Otley pack drove them off it & drove towards the line. Four scrums later a penalty try was awarded after some naughty Baildon hands were placed where they shouldn’t be. With conversion it was 14 - 12 at half time & the Baildon crowd were just a little bit quieter. The 2nd half started with the Ensians game plan to use the wind & slope to push Baildon back, but with some wayward kicking at times, Baildon ran it back & there number 17, who had electric pace raced away when they broke through to make it 21 – 12 after 45 minutes. Otley came straight back & with some great drives down the side of the rucks by mesh,bret, wheely & Duncan, they ended up with a scrum 8 metres out, which they drove over the line, for ben jones at 8 to touch down. Foz converted to make it 21 – 19 & back in the game. Unfortunately number 17 struck again to score for Baildon to make it 28 – 19. Otley attacked again, with ben smith sending conner paley racing down the wing to dive over in the corner, but with no tmo, he was judged to of knocked on. Baildon cleared their lines but Otley came back & after the forwards drove forward, the ball was spun out to Johnny rah who passed to foz , who passed to paddy, who passed to Jamie who passed to jock ! who passed it a yard forward with try line beckoning. From the scrum Baildon used no 17 again who ran from his 22 leaving a trail of bodies to make it 35 – 19 on 71 minutes. From the kick off Otley turned over the ball & with foz putting paddy through the gap, & after a good run he popped it up as he was getting tackled to the ever present open side Duncan to score near the posts to make it 35 – 26 on 75 minutes. With time running out, Otley wasted no time & worked their way down the field to force a scrum 5 metres out for another pushover try, this time by Jamie chapel. With conversion the game ended 35 – 33, with a missed conversion the difference, but all agreed it had been a fantastic game to play in with the outstanding number 17 being the pick of the bunch for Baildon, while for the Ensians / Viscounts bunch , it was a real team effort in forwards & backs with captain foz & Johnny bringing the best out of the young back line