OORUFC Match Report
4th January 2014

Halifax Vandals 3 - 37 Old Otliensians

After a three weeks break 'Ensians travelled to Halifax to open the second half of their league season. Trips to Vandals have often resulted in defeat in past seasons due to the strong Pennine winds and the peculiar slope of the pitch running corner to corner always well exploited by the home kickers. However the day was still, the weather bright and the pitch in remarkably good condition following the rain.

Playing down the slope 'Ensians started brightly and after 4 minutes Kristian Keinhorst opened the scoring with a penalty goal. Two Minutes later Alex Albrecht who was to have a great game made a 20 metre break and following good work from the forwards Luke Cowdell drew his man and put Declan Jackson in for a try converted by Kristian Keinhorst to make the score 0-10 in 'Ensians favour.

The first time Vandals forayed into the visitors half they kicked a penalty but unfortunately skipper Ieuan Cranswick suffered a serious knee ligament injury soon afterwards and will miss the next 6 to 8 weeks as a result. Rob Loft house moved to Scrum half and Declan Doherty came in on the wing.

After 21 minutes Luke Cowdell chipped the ball over the head of the Vandals full back just outside the visitor's 22 and chased through to score an unconverted try. A few minutes later after outstanding rucking by Ali Campbell and man of the match Jack Smith the ball sped across the backs to put Declan Jackson in for a try converted by Kristian Keinhorst resulting in a half time score of 3-22 to the visitors.

Playing up the slope in the 2nd half 'Ensians were soon on the attack and Rob Lofthouse raced over the line only to be called back for an earlier knock on.'Esians continued to attack and Declan Jackson completed his hat trick with an unconverted try on 53 minutes after a sublime sweeping move by the backs. 'Ensians were dominating in the rucks ,holding their own in the scrums and Jack Smith Ali Campbell and Sam Featherstone were doing well in the lineouts.

After 70 minutes Kristian Keinhorst kicked a penalty and 6 minutes later converted the final try of the game scored by Luke Cowdell to make a FINAL SCORE of 3-37 to 'Ensians.Vandals never gave up and in a late flourish a Vandals' player intercepted a pass and would have scored but for a superb tackle by Kristian Keinhorst who had a fine game.

This was a workmanlike win for 'Ensians and a good start to 2014. It will hold them in good stead for the much tougher matches to come if they are to achieve their ambition of Yorkshire League Champions this season.