OORUFC Match Report
9th February 2013

Wetherby 17 vs 12 OORUFC

On a cool calm afternoon and a wide flat pitch in excellent shape conditions were ideal for open rugby .As a result 'Ensians fast backs were in complete control for the first ten minutes and missed at least two chances to score by dropped passes wrong options or good home defence. Then completely against the run of play Wetherby took the lead with an unconverted try following a neat kick ahead by their wily veteran scrum half which bounced awkwardly for the 'Ensian defence, and was kicked on by a home player who won the race to touch down.

For the next 20 minutes play was mainly confined to the midfield The heavy Wetherby forwards were giving the visitors problems in the scrums, but in the line outs Ali Campbell and Sam Featherstone were not only holding their own ball but taking the ball on occasions from the Wetherby throw in.

On the stroke of half time the visitors showed their true form. Lee O'Donnell made a fine break from his own 22 metre line and passed to Luke Cowdell who scattered the home defence and the ball passed to Josh Howarth who stormed over to score the try of the match to make the half time score 5 points each.

The first 10 minutes of the second half were spent by 'Ensians defending their line firmly and valiantly trying to keep the heavy strong attacking Wetherby forwards at bay, finally resulting in a harsh penalty try being awarded to Wetherby which when converted made a score of 12 points to 5 in favour of the home team.

Not to be out done 'Ensians quickly came back into the attack and after 17 minutes gained a penalty resulting in good lineout ball from Sam Featherstone, and quick ball being passed to Luke Cowdell who charged over near the posts for a fine try also converted by him to make the score12 points all. Although the home forwards were well on top in the scrums play was generally even and the visitors created chances which unfortunately came to naught. On one occasion Nathan Rogers beat four men passing to Sam Emmitt who continued the move and passed on to make a total of 50 metres but the home defence held firm

Wetherby could see a good victory in their sights and their tails were up. With 10 minutes to go they were awarded a penalty. Their forwards attacked near the 'Ensians' line, sucked in the defence giving them an overlap, and opened the ball out to the winger who went in unopposed for well executed unconverted try to give them victory with a final score of 17 points to 12 points.

Click the pic for more photos

OORUFC 2ndXV 7 vs 28 Huddersfield YMCA

Ensians 2nd XV lost their merit league match against league leaders Huddersfield YMCA 2nd XV by28 points to 7 points the 'Ensians scoring a try by Rob Lofthouse converted by Lewis Chick.