match reports rogues gallery club stuff



Goole & Sandal 086
click the pic for more photos

On a sunny afternoon, ‘Ensians started against the wind against promotion contenders Goole. The visitors soon showed their skills with big fast forwards driving down the middle to set up moves in the home 22. The hosts defended resolutely with flankers Richard Crossley and Sam Featherstone to the fore and full back Kristian Keinhorst providing steady cover at the back.

The home side gradually settled and half backs Rob Lofthouse and Matt Tenniswood were able to bring centres Dale Kennedy and newcomer Nathan Rogers into the game. ‘Ensians infringed and Goole took the lead with a penalty on 11 minutes. The home pack was competing well against heavier opponents with the front row of Peter Bonner, Rob Lyon and Ross Myers just about managing to command their own ball.

However, the visitors were quick onto any mistake or loose ball and from broken play, they ran in two tries on 20 and 32 minutes to give them a half-time advantage of 15 – 0.

With the wind in their favour, the hosts took play into the Goole half through good driving by No.8 Andy Bower and locks Brett Tenniswood and Mark Copping. Quick ball found centre Dale Kennedy with some space and he cut through in style to feed Nathan Rogers who went in under the posts for a fine try. Matt Tenniswood’s conversion narrowed the margin to 15 – 7 on 45 minutes.

The visitors realised that the match was far from over and stepped up the pace, catching the hosts napping with a quick tap penalty which led to a try on 55 minutes. With forwards and backs now working well together, Goole ran in two more tries on 66 and 73 minutes stretching their lead to 32 – 7.

For the home side, Matt Taylor and Michael Groves replaced the injured Brett Tenniswood and Sam Featherstone. Fresh legs and some searching kicks from fly half Matt Tenniswood drove Goole back into their 22 where the home pack began to batter the line. Rob Lyon and Mark Copping came close before experienced prop Peter Bonner forced his way through to score wide out on 76 minutes. The conversion failed leaving the final score at 32 – 12 in Goole’s favour.

Against a side with a big, mobile pack and good-handling backs, this was a plucky performance from ‘Ensians who made the most of limited possession.


OLD OTLIENSIANS “A” 36 points versus SANDAL “B” 12

 Goole & Sandal 072

Ensians completed the season with a confident victory in a most attractive game with much excellent open play well refereed by Derek Smith.

Both teams started brightly with Ensians just about on top culminating with a try by Andy Haywood after 25 mins the same player making a decisive break 10 mins later when Josh Butterill squirmed over for a try converted by Peter Gillson making a half time score of 12—0.

Ensians attacked strongly and, after much pressure on the Sandal line, Alan Garnett scored a try’ again converted by Gillson. However Sandal came back with two quick tries one converted to make the score 19—12 to Ensians.

The home team came back strongly with Ben Smith tackled inches short and Ross Nichols putting in some powerful surges.Ensians got well on top in the last 10 minutes with some great rugby scoring three more tries by Ben Tetley -following a break by Liam Copping - Alan Garnett and Lee O’Donnell, one converted by Gillson making a final result of 36—12 to Ensians