match reports rogues gallery club stuff



Carrol scores against West Leeds after a powerful 40 metre run

Old Otliensians had a more familiar look to the team on Saturday with a number of long term absentees returning for this fixture against promotion chasing West Leeds, which doubled as the quarter final Aire Wharfe Cup tie.
The game opened at a ferocious pace and this never diminished during a first half, that although scoreless, provided the large crowd with end to end rugby, where but for well organised and committed defences either side could have scored following pressure, ostensibly from the Otliensians pack and clever use of the wind from the West Leeds stand off who drove the home side continually in to the corners with a well rehearsed kick and chase game. However as the half drew to a close it was becoming increasingly clear that the Otliensians centre combination of Carrol and Tinknell, prompted by stand off Ratahi were looking like the catalyst for an Otliensians victory, and so it proved.
As early as the 3rd minute of the second half, Otliensians pressure at the scrum released Tinknell, who fed Carrol who from 40 metres out dummied and powered his way through four defenders for the 5-0 lead. After 47 minutes from another dominant scrum, Tinknell was released down the left flank and proceeded to shrug off three defenders for the score at the posts which Kristian Keinhorst converted. After 56 minutes Otliensians won a defensive ruck virtually on their own line, but such was the confidence now veining through the side, Ratahi moved the ball from left to right, releasing Tinknell again who sped away over 90 metres, arcing away down the right touchline leaving a stream of defenders in his wake for the 17-0 lead.
As the confidence continued to rise, another scrum was taken on the right 75 metres out, the ball was transferred to Carrol who streaked away from 65 metres down the channel, he exchanged passes with Dyson and scored by the posts for Keinhorst to once again convert after 70 minutes.
West Leeds were always competitive and a threat, and they justifiably got their own reward with the last play of the game, interpassing down the left hand touch to leave the final score a very satisfying 24-7, with the semi final against Skipton to come.

More pictures here!

Report supplied by Gary Walker