match reports rogues gallery club stuff


West Park 13pts vs Old Otliensians 7pts

This proved to be a feisty festive encounter at The Sycamores, with West Park taking the spoils for the 3rd time this season by a margin of less than a score, with the game once again poised evenly, but Otliensians losing out as they have done so often this season in Yorkshire 3.

The game started with West Park showing their skill and intent through 7 phases of play culminating with the excellent centre running a sublime line to score by the left hand side of the posts, the conversion gave the home side the lead after only 1 minute, and following further pressure this was extended to 10 points with a well taken penalty after 8 minutes.

This seemed to break Otliensians out of their torpor and they began to drag themselves back in to the game, with fine line breaks from the increasingly influential Jimmy Keinhorst, admirably supported by his brother Nick and the strong running Tinknell, who was creating havoc in the home ranks. But the home side were well drilled in defence and the game settled in to a pattern of cut and thrust, punctuated by the odd local derby flare up as two passionately committed sides slugged it out toe to toe. The final yellow card tally for the game was 5, although most of these mystified both set of supporters for what appeared to be rather innocuous offences, particularly those for what appeared to be excellent and legitimate tackling from both sides.

The first half had shown the make shift Otliensians pack in a competitive light, with Steve Robinson stepping up for his full debut at hooker, Gray, normally a left wing, jumping to great effect in the lineout and covering every blade of grass, and centres Ratahi and Philpott sharing the blindside duties it was a magnificent effort marshalled by Arbuckle and Lyon, with Hill, Howell and Newall to the fore.

The second half continued in the same vain with West Park starting strongly, their good maul and well drilled backs showing continuity, pace and skill, but it was Otliensians who contributed the best move of the game to close the gap after 54 minutes. Kristian Keinhorst took the ball on his own 22 and seeing the onrushing West Park defenders, deftly chipped over them for his brother Jimmy to collect and evade 3 defenders over the next 30 metres, he offloaded to the fast supporting Tinknell who out paced the defence to score at the right of the posts, Jimmy Keinhorst converted for the 10-7 score line.

The rest of the game was characterised by both sides committing fully to their causes, chances were made at both ends, but the decisive penalty was hit after 74 minutes, and with the referee again calling time at less than 38 minutes, as he had done in the first half, the rising Otliensians pressure was again thwarted at the last.

This was a disappointing end to this series of 3 local derbies for Otliensians, but the harsh reality is that 6 of their league defeats this season have been by a score or less, no excuses, just more hard work and dedication needed from the squad.


Old Otliensians 2ndXV 29pts vs West Park 42pts

West Park 2ndXV 055
Andy makes a break

More photos !


With an Otliensian prop crying off at the last minute, regrettably, uncontested scrums were necessary, but this allowed both sets of backs to use the clean ball to good effect and play was end to end for much of the first half with good counter attacking by both sides. With the packs being evenly matched and lineouts tending to go with the throw, there were plenty of scoring opportunities and home wingers Darren Cooley and Liam Copping both tested the Park defence on several occasions.

With the visitors working better as a team, they gradually edged ahead though some good interplay between forwards and backs and on 50 minutes, they looked to have the game comfortably in the bag. However, the home side stepped up their efforts and with 15 minutes remaining, they were very much in the game with the score at 28 – 22 in Park’s favour. Just when it seemed ‘Ensians might be in with an outside chance of a victory, they lost their cohesion, play became scrappy and they allowed West Park to run in two more converted tries. A converted try by Cooley made the score more respectable, but it was the superior all-round team effort which gave West Park the edge in what turned out to be a comfortable win.

For Otliensians Darren Cooley and lock Andy Wood each scored two tries with one from young winger Liam Copping. Matt Tenniswood provided two conversions.



With people unavailable and calls from the 2nd XV, ‘Ensians arrived at the splendid Bramhope complex with only twelve players. In true 3rd XV tradition, West Park sportingly loaned one of their fourteen players to set up a lively thirteen-a-side match. Scrums were uncontested from the outset and both sides used the clean ball to get their backs moving. Experienced half backs Tim Swann and Hugh Gumbs wasted no time in spinning the ball wide and on 5 minutes, a slick blindside movement set winger Danny Scheitaert on a forty yard sprint up the touchline to outpace the cover and score a fine try half way out with Gumbs adding the conversion.


The home side were stunned by this setback and immediately put together some sweeping back moves which stretched the visitors’ defence. Centres Michael Philpott and Graham Bentley tackled well along with No.8 Peter Tempest, but a neat break by the home centre produced a good individual try under the posts taking the score to 7 – 7 after 9 minutes. Five minutes later Park’s speedy backs handled well to set up another try wide out to lift their advantage to 12 – 7. Otliensians responded with both forwards and backs linking well together to create chances for Gumbs and Philpott. Loaned player John Smith actually crossed the line, but he was adjudged to have made a second movement and the try was disallowed. When Michael Philpott had to leave the field to strengthen the 1st XV bench on a nearby pitch, the visitors were immediately vulnerable and, with half time seconds away, the speedy West Park winger was put in the clear and, after a weaving run, he went in under the posts to make the score 24 – 7 at the break.


With the breeze and the slope now in their favour and despite being a man down, ‘Ensians launched some promising attacks through good lineout ball from Alan Garnett with scrum half Swann making telling breaks round the rucks and mauls. Just when it looked as though they might pull some points back, lock Derek Mott suffered a leg injury leaving the side with only eleven men against thirteen. There was heroic tackling from the back three of Scheitaert, full back Sean Flesher and Steve Lofthouse, but the pressure told and Park ran in another try on 50 minutes taking the score to 24 – 7.


‘Ensians were still not finished, and Swann made an excellent break with good support from Mark Copping and John Offer. Peter Tempest was on hand to take the final pass, but a strong tackle caused the ball to go forward as he dived over the line. The final whistle then brought to an end an entertaining match in which both sides managed to play some good open rugby with ‘Ensians, despite being two men down, battling valiantly until the end.