match reports rogues gallery club stuff


‘Ensians started down the slope into the strong wind which meant play was scrappy in the early stages. However, as the side settled down, the front row of Tony Myers, Steve Robinson and Ben Newall began to take balls against the head which allowed half backs Peter Boultby and Sean Kennedy to use the pace of their back division. After 15 minutes, a sweeping back move saw centre Sam Grey go over in the corner and the superb conversion by full back Matt Tenniswood gave the visitors a 7 – 0 lead. Two minutes later, Bramley spilled the ball and trademark inter-passing between forwards and backs saw Sean Kennedy finish the move. The conversion by Matt Tenniswood pushed the score to 14 - 0.

Using the wind, Bramley came into the game for the first time and they managed to drive over to take the score to 14 – 7 after 25 minutes. This produced more determination from the visitors and good lineout ball from Brett Tenniswood allowed brother Matt to gain huge distances with his accurate line kicking. From a lineout five yards out, flanker Joe Robinson crashed over to lift the score to 19 – 7 to ‘Ensians as half time approached.

With the wind behind them and plentiful quality ball from the set pieces, it was all ‘Ensians in the second period. From a tap penalty after 43 minutes, lock Chris Howells went over after a powerful drive. Five minutes later, skipper Andy Hayward in the centre scooped up a miss-kick touching down after a good run and flanker Mike Farandino was then on the end of a move to score half way out. After slick handling by the backs, Grey went over in the corner for his second try and, with three fine conversions by Matt Tenniswood, the score stood at a comfortable 45 – 7 to the visitors after 54 minutes.

A stolen lineout ball by Brett Tenniswood set up Hayward for his second try and then winger Kristian Keinhorst set off on a jinking run from 25 yards out to score under the posts. To round things off, following a quick throw-in by Ben Newall, brother Nick Keinhorst showed good pace when he kicked through to follow up and touch down. All three tries were converted by Matt Tenniswood taking the margin to 66 – 7.

The referee blew up a few minutes early to bring to an end another fine display of attractive rugby by the 2nd XV built on superb handling skills and enthusiastic support play. The score was boosted by an exemplary display of kicking by full back Matt Tenniswood in difficult conditions


 Wetherby 3rds 095    Wetherby 3rds 098   Wetherby 3rds 280

 more photos!

Having narrowly defeated Wetherby at home in the first game of the season, ‘Ensians knew they would have to pull out all the stops to win this away fixture. The home side demonstrated early on that with new players on their back division, they meant business. Centres Hugh Gumbs and Liam Copping, along with wings Stephen Lofthouse and Sam Tetley had to defend resolutely for the first five minutes as Wetherby mounted a series of attacks. As ‘Ensians settled, half backs Tim Swann and James Keinhorst showed their skills to make good ground, but progress was difficult against a determined defence.

An incursion by Wetherby into the visitor’s twenty two produced a penalty on 10 minutes, but ‘Ensians responded seven minutes later with some good support play from the back row of Ben Tetley, Alan Garnett and Darren Hardie with the latter driving over half way out. The failed conversion gave ‘the visitors a slender 5 – 3 lead. Wetherby backs always looked dangerous and a good back move produced a try near the post and the conversion put the home side in front at 10 – 5.

For the next ten minutes play was very much end to end with the powerful ‘Ensians front row of Dave Beardsley, Andy Rockett and Lee Paley taking several balls against the head. Gumbs had some powerful drives and Swann was always sniping round the set pieces and when Wetherby spilled the ball, quick hands by locks Ray Drake and Andy Wood saw Garnett put Keinhorst over. The failed conversion levelled the scores at 10 apiece after 30 minutes. On the stroke of half time, turnover ball allowed the home side to mount a counter-attack and the converted try gave them a 17 – 10 lead.

At the break Rob Arbuckle and Paul Stigman came on in the pack and Simon Coxon, Lee O’Donnell and Robin Devereaux filled vacancies caused by injuries in the backs. After only two minutes, No.8 Garnett picked up from the scrum and slick passing from Swann and O’Donnell saw winger Copping round the cover to score wide out. A fine conversion by Keinhorst levelled the scores at 17 all on 42 minutes.

From then on play was generally even with both sides having chances. Young winger Devereaux had a long run down the touchline to be pulled down short and Keinhorst narrowly missed with a penalty. With the Wetherby defence playing right into the ‘Ensians’ faces, the visitors found it difficult to put moves together and hurried handling led to turnovers and counter attacks. From a lineout on halfway, Wetherby caught the visitors napping with a quick throw-in and a gallop down the wing produced a score in the corner to give the home side a 22 – 17 lead on 62 minutes.

Swann and Keinhorst mounted several promising attacks in the closing minutes and O’Donnell and full back Sean Flesher came close. With the ‘Ensians pack gradually gaining ascendancy, play was taking place in the opposition half, but the Wetherby defence held out leaving the final score at 22 – 17 to the home side. This was a commendable performance by the visitors against a strong Wetherby side which succeeded in disrupting the ‘Ensians normal patterns of play.