match reports rogues gallery club stuff



It proved to be one of those league days on Saturday where nothing seemed to go right for Otliensians, when a very committed Garforth side snatched a deserved draw in the fourth minute of injury time at the end of a very scrappy game.

Garforth started much the stronger and but for a fine defensive effort from Otliensians would have been away to a dream start, pressuring the visitors line for the first 10 minutes through a combination of their forwards and strong running inside backs. Otliensians weathered this early storm and worked their way efficiently upfield with their trade mark driving forward patterns and penetrating back moves. The first controversial decision the day happened after 15 minutes when a catch and drive at a 15 metre line lead to Bonner being taken over the line, but the referee deemed he was held up. After 18 minutes Foster converted a penalty after more sustained pressure, and Tom Woods taking one of several blows to the head from high tackles.

Garforth came back with good interplay with their second row and prop to the fore, and nice movement in the backs, but once again Otliensians were able to relieve the pressure excellent handling, which lead to their second disallowed try of the half on 25 minutes, when a cross field kick from Kristian Keinhorst was gathered by Nick Keinhorst, only for the referee to adjudge a very controversial offside. Garforth responded and were awarded a penalty after 31 minutes, and had their own promising move brought back for a forward pass when they were looking like they may have had a chance of a try, to leave the half time score at 3 - 3.

The game was being characterised by inept Otliensians handling, followed by good passages of play, and a very aggressive display from the Garforth pack, supplemented by their robust back line, and it was once again the home team who took the game to Otliensians for the first 15 minutes of the second half. But on 57 minutes probably the move of the game, enabled Lee O'Donnell to be put in to a gap, he surged through beating three men on a mazy 30 metre run only to be tackled a couple of metres short, with the offload again been spilled and another chance lost.

The game then became very attritional with neither side able to fashion clear openings and it was left to the 75th minute for Foster to have his next penalty shot for a 6 - 3 lead. The game was coming to an end with the official calling the last play, only to continue through a couple of scrums, eventually leading to a Garforth penalty in the 4th minute of added on time, this was cooly converted, and on balance the 6 - 6 draw was a fair result, with neither side warranting the full spoils, in what was a disappointing spectacle for all involved.



On a glorious autumn day, ‘Ensians made the trip up the Dales with the experienced Ian Chaplin at fly half partnered by newcomer Tom Henry. From past experience the visitors knew that the Dalesmen would run the ball from everywhere and control of the ball would be imperative to keep the home side at bay.

From the kick-off, flanker Adam Mudd drove strongly into Wharfedale territory and his back row colleagues Chris Hayward and Alan Garnett piled in behind to create a good maul. Clean ball enabled half backs Henry and Chaplin to get the back line moving. However, strong tackles by the home centres produced a turnover and before they knew it, ‘Ensians were defending in their own 22. The Wharfedale backs spread the ball wide and their winger carved his way infield to score near the posts after five minutes.

Despite good defensive work by centres Sam Grey and Will Haines, the visitors struggled to stem the sweeping moves by the home side’s speedy back division. In the next 20 minutes, Wharfedale ran in four more tries to lift their score to 33 – 0 with forwards and backs handling and backing-up superbly.

In the final ten minutes of the half, ‘Ensians buckled down and good work by the front row of Dave Beardsley, Ben Tetley and Chris Myers ensured good ball from the scrums. Good handling by Haines and Grey, locks Andy Wood and Dan Ridgeway with full back Sean Flesher in support, took play into the home 22, but spilled ball spoilt the opportunity. However, when halftime arrived, it looked as though ‘Ensians were coming more into the game.

With the slope in their favour, Wharfedale threw everything into attack and ran in two tries in the first ten minutes. Through Alan Garnett, ’Ensians were still competing well in the lineout and the forwards put in some good drives with Wood, Hayward and Mudd to the fore. What the visitors could not overcome was the ability of the home side to turn over ball at every opportunity. Once this happened, they were away down the field at pace and the ‘Ensians hard-working defence just ran out of numbers.

With the visitors tiring, Wharfedale ran in four more tries to push the score to 73 – 0. Credit must go to skipper Alan Garnett and the whole side for their spirited performance against very strong opposition