match reports rogues gallery club stuff


 2007.10.20 Burley 080

See more photos here!

Otliensians continued their good run of form with a comprehensive six try victory in this potential tricky League fixture at Burley.

Burley played with the slope in the first half, but once again Otliensians came out of the blocks firing on all cylinders with Tom O'Donnell winning a line out on the opposition 22, transferring the ball to Markus Keinhorst to set the maul in motion, the whole pack drove down the left hand five metre channell with perfect organisation and the try was scored by srum half David Smith for the perfect start after only 3 minutes.

The Otliensians pack were dominant throughout the half, with the front row of Bonner, Hanogue and Richard Smith forcing several Burley props from the field with their relentless pressure, O'Donnell, Keinhorst, Hill, Grey and Arbuckle ramaging in the loose, and a well executed maul kept the home team to minimal chances with the considerable advantage of the slope. The ball was also been used intelligently by the backs, kicking for position through Kristian Keinhorst and Will Foster, and strong running in the centres from Ratahi and Lee O'Donnell, exemplified in the 16th minute when a length of the field move sweeping from right to left with wings Jon Woods and Nick Keinhorst prominant was only halted on the line with desparate defence.

The Burley back division was always threatenting with the limited possession they had, and they used the ball well in the middle and at the end of the first half, but the improving Otliensians defensive organisation held them at bay, and it was during this period that Otliensians scored their second try, beginning with a maul that rumbled 40 metres up field, followed by a quickly taken penalty that kept the momentum going upfield to a 5 metre scrum, with Dave Smith picking up at the base and releasing Jon Woods on the right wing for a score in the corner. The half time score of 10-0 was no more than the visitors deserved, with the mouth watering prospect of the slope in the second half.

It didn't take long for Ratahi to score the first try of the second half, another excellent scrum on the right lead to ball being transferred to the left where Lee O'Donnell made the break and released Nick Keinhorst who drew his man with the inside pass to Ratahi, Foster converted and the lead was 17-0 after 51 minutes. Burley restarted and second row Markus Keinhorst took the ball from the kick off, evaded the first two defenders, side stepped the third and burst through the middle, before chipping over the defence, regathering and scoring under the posts - wow, with Foster converting the lead was 24-0 in the 53rd minute.

Burley were still giving their all, they had fantastic discipline and even though they were struggling against the dominant Otliensians maul they played the game to both the spirit and letter of the laws, never trying to dangerously pull it down, and this was a credit to their sportsmanship and commitment. But the day was to be Otliensians with further dynamic combinations of forwards and backs and good execution of the basics leading to tries for Ratahi after 61 minutes and Jon Woods after 66 minutes, converted by David Smith and Foster respectively for a 38-0 lead.

Burley then showed their tenacity with 5 minutes of intense pressure, lead by their incisive backs, who moved the ball with aplomb and stretched the Otliensians defence on both sides of the field, before been rewarded with the last play of the game where they intercepted the ball on half way and went in under the posts for a well deserved score.

This was a complete performance for all the squad, and once again sets the standards of performance that this Otliensians team is capable of.

Report supplied by the coach, Gary Walker.


Old Otliensians 2nd XV 67 pts v Leeds Corinthians 0 pts

 2007.10.20 Burley 096

See more photos here!

With Burley 2nd XV a late backword the Leeds side offered to come to Chaffers Fields. Neil Barlow resumed his stand off role and the home side were soon on the score sheet with a well struck Barlow penalty. Otliensians began to win ball from all phases and scrum half Ben Newall was first to open the try account.  Soon after No 8 Matt Taylor  picked up at a scrum and made 40 m  before Centre Andy Hayward completed . The back row notched up another try this time from Richard Freeman who burst onto the ball at speed to crash over after some good handling . Direct from the kick -off prop Tom Twist set up a maul , the ball quickly swung along the line for centre Sean Kennedy to score after supporting a run by wing Michael Philpott. Philpott scored soon after following another slick handling move.The next try followed a good turn over by prop Tony Myers at a maul, Taylor making a strong run to score from 35 m. The final try before the break came from Wing Richard Cuff who completely outpaced the opposition after another flowing move from the home side.With Barlow converting five of the eight tries Otliensians had a very comfortable 48- 0 pts lead at half time.

The pace slowed a little in the second half and the visitors came more into the game. However, Ensians were soon on the score sheet with a try from fullback Jason Babb following a pick up and drive by Tom Twist which went to Philpott who fed Babb on the burst. Barlow scored next after supporting a strong run by Philpott and the final try came from Alan Harker after some goods interplay by both forwards and backs. Barlow converted two tries in the second half giving him a personal tally of 22 pts.

Thanks go to referees Roy Aldridge who did this came and to Derek Smith who refereed at Cross Green for their patience as games had to be re- arranged several times during the preceeding week as the fixtures changed.

Report supplied by Adrian Normanton.


 2007.10.20 Burley 140

See more photos here!

After their original opposition cried off, ‘Ensians were fortunate to find a fixture against old rivals, the Viscounts. The visiting side were strengthened by the return of experienced scrum half Tim Swann playing his first game after a serious injury. His partner at fly half was newcomer Aiden Carr formerly of Roundhegians.

From the start, ‘Ensians moved the ball wide and centres Jim McDougall and Sam Grey drove hard into Otley territory. The home side ventured offside and Andy Wood kicked the penalty to put the visitors 3 points up. The ‘Ensians pack with the front row of Chris Myers, Ben Tetley and Scott Child had the edge on their bigger opponents in the scrum and, with the excellent service from Swann, a sweeping move from the backs saw Sam Grey go over after good handling by Carr, McDougall and winger Dan Garnett. The conversion by Wood gave the visitors a 10 point lead after 15 minutes.

Otley were still very much in the game and their pack put together some powerful drives which tested the visitor’s defence. The back row of John Broadbent, Alan Garnett and Chris Howells had their work cut out to defend their line and behind them was ever-dependable full back Sean Flesher. A good clearance by Carr took play into the home 22 and Tim Swann showed pace when he nipped down the blind side to score a fine try.

Good backing-up and interplay between forwards and backs saw two further tries by Alan Garnett, after a good run from Sean Flesher, and McDougall, who blitzed his way through in familiar style. With the conversion attempts failing, ‘Ensians had a healthy 25 – 0 lead at the break.

In the second period, Tom McDougall deputised for brother Jim at centre and youngster Liam Copping took one wing berth with veteran Peter Tempest taking over the other. The injured Broadbent was replaced by Chris Hayward. The re-arranged team settled down quickly and strong bursts from lock Andy Wood saw his partner Mark Copping on hand to go over near the posts, Wood adding the conversion.

In the lineouts, ‘Ensians struggled to get clean ball against good lifting by Viscounts, but in the loose Alan Garnett and his pack swarmed all over the opposition at every opportunity. Good backing up and his use of unmarked space saw lock Andy Wood go over for two tries in a five-minute period of domination to take the score to 42 – 0 after 60 minutes.

The Otley pack adopted the ploy of playing three props in their front row and suddenly, ‘Ensians found themselves with untidy ball from the scrums. After a good drive, Viscounts found space wide out and went in for a well-deserved try after 70 minutes.

The visitors then roused themselves and slick handling produced two further tries for Carr and Grey to leave the final score at 52 – 5. The’ Ensians half back pair of Swann and Carr gave their backs extra room to perform, but credit must go to Viscounts for their battling performance right to the end.

Report supplied by John Harrison

On Saturday the 1st  and 3rd XVs entertain Old Modernians at Chaffers Field whilst the 2nd XV are at Modernians, all kick offs at 3:00pm