match reports rogues gallery club stuff

Hornsea 7pts vs Old Otliensians 1stXV 16 pts

Otliensians made the long journey to Hornsea for what has always been a very difficult league fixture, and for the first time came away with a well deserved victory, after a highly committed and skilful display of 15 man rugby.

The first half stated with intense Otliensians pressure, who showed their intent with ferocious scrummaging, where the front row of Bonner, Lyons and Boughan gave a master class, taking the first two balls against the head.

The aggressive play of the whole Otliensians pack proved to be the solid foundation from which the back division launched a series of well constructed attacks, but Hornsea also showed their skill with an excellent sweeping back move covering 50 metres to once again how dangerous they can be. The pressure began to tell and from a scrum infringement Foster opened the scoring with a penalty after 14 minutes. Unfortunately for Otliensians Foster had to leave the fireld of play injured after 22 minutes, but this seemed to spur the pack in to even greater action when a scrum was won on the Otliensians 22, they worked the ball up the left channel before swift hands to the right brought Lee O Donnell on to the ball at pace to leave 3 defenders in his wake for an 8 0 lead on 25 minutes.

Otliensians then produced a series of pick and drives, with quick hands providing another penalty opportunity at 39 minutes, converted by Markus Keinhorst, Otliensians again raced back from the start and finished the half with a superb catch and drive from a 20 metre line out, forcing the Hornsea pack over the line for a 16 0 half time lead.

The second half began with a rejuvenated Hornsea putting together a series of attacks combining backs and forwards, which showed why they will be difficult to beat in the league this year, and but for stoic and well drilled Otliensians defence they would have scored in the first 10 minutes. Otliensians came back strongly, but bagan to be penalised continually and began to lose momentum as the game became thrust and counter thrust.

In the 72nd minute Hornsea eventually broke the Otliensians defence for a well constructed try, but there was to be no denying the quality of this performance, as Otliensians finished the game mounting considerable pressure on the Hornsea line to register a thoroughly deserved victory.


Wetherby 0 pts vs Old Otliensians 2ndXV 58pts

For their visit to Wetherby, ‘Ensians were once again faced with uncontested scrums from the outset as the opposition failed to produce a front row. From the start, the home pack drove the ball confidently and camped on the ‘Ensians line for five minutes. Strong tackling from Richard Smith, Tony Myers and Joe Firth kept them at bay and when the ball was cleared, skipper Brett Tenniswood climbed high to produce clean lineout ball.

Half backs Til Leccisotti and Sean Kennedy moved the ball slickly and put winger Darren Cooley away on a fifty yard run cutting the defence to shreds to score a fine try half way out. The conversion failed, but the visiting pack was now imposing itself in the loose and powerful runs by number 8 Phil Cook and locks Smith and Tenniswood set up a second try for Cooley to provide a 10 point lead after ten minutes.

With a plentiful supply of ball, the visiting backs had far too much pace for their opposite numbers and centres Andy Hayward and Andy Bower created an opening for winger Richard Cuff to power his way over near the posts, Kennedy adding the conversion. With both backs and forwards handling and supporting well, further tries came from Hayward and former first team skipper Richard

Smith. As half time approached, a good rolling maul saw Brett Tenniswood emerge smiling from a pile of bodies to claim the score. Ben Newall’s conversion gave the visitors a 34 – 0 lead at the break. 

A few minutes after the re-start, good backing-up by flankers Firth and Newall put Hayward in the clear to score his second try and ten minutes later full back Anand Desai came into the line to set up Cooley for his hat trick. The best try of the match came three minutes later when ten players handled the ball slickly in a move that covered half the length of the pitch to give Brett Tenniswood his second try near the posts. Ben Newall converted to push the lead to 51 – 0. 

In the final minutes, scything runs by Hayward and Bower saw flanker Joe Firth on hand to take the final pass and go over under the posts with Newall’s conversion lifting the score to 58 – 0. Both forwards and backs played their part in this comprehensive and entertaining victory, but some credit must go to the hosts, who, despite being outplayed, never gave up.

Old Otliensians 3rdXV 22 pts vs Nestle Rountree 26 pts

 2007.10.06 Nestle Rountree 053

more photos here!

Nestle Rountrees with clearly an experienced and large pack surprisingly chose to have non contested scrums but Otliensians took on the powerful visitors right from the kick off and early play was confined to the midfield. Skipper and no 8 Alan Garnett began to win some clean lineout ball and the backs began to show some handling skills. After 10 mins a break from centre Jim McDougall led to a driving maul close to the Rountrees line and second row Mark Copping playing his first game of the season scored from close range, stand off Will Haines converting. Rountrees hit back immediately with a converted try after 14 mins after some poor defensive marking from the home side. The visitors maintained a period of pressure helped by some astute kicking from their stand off but Ensians through some good work by the pack in the loose and line out ball from Copping and Garnett gradually came back into the game and set up some good field positions. Rountrees experience drove the home side back up field  but late in the half,  from a scrum,Garnett fed scrum half  Peter Gilson who made a telling break. Garnett  supported well but was dragged down short of the line . However ,Haines was on hand to complete and convert. Ensians kept up the pressure missing several chances to score but Haines kicked a penalty just before the break to give them a 17 - 7 pts lead.

Gilson had to leave the field at half time and the reorganisation upset the Ensians rhyme. Rountrees were soon on the attack and scored wide on the right from a forward drive , the conversion hitting the post.. Soon after they almost scored from deft three-quarter move and at this stage were well on top.Rountrees scored two further converted tries before Ensians began to hit back in the last ten minutes Garnett was rewarded for an excellent display by scoring a try which was not converted and Otliensians missed a late penalty.This was a good display from the home side against strong opposition and thanks are due to Roy Aldridge for refereing.