match reports rogues gallery club stuff


  2007.04.25 Knaresborough 138
More photos here!

Otliensians continued their Cup run with an emphatic victory against league rivals Knaresborough, who had ultimately ensured that Otliensians had again finished third in the league earlier in the season.

Otliensians started the game at a high tempo, realising that the warm evening and superior fitness would in the end be the defining difference to the contest, and they were rewarded for early pressure with a well taken  penalty by the ever reliable boot of Foster. The game settled in to a forward battle with Otliensians moving through phases, and Knaresborough countering with their rolling maul. As the half wore on the Otliensians forwards were beginning to dominate, particularly in the scrum, where Myers was producing a master class in the art of tight head propping, and in the 28th minute the whole pack produced four well constructed phases to release the backs for Foster to score by the posts, adding the conversion for a 10 - 0 half time lead.

The back division was again well marshalled by Birch, with Foster and Lee O'Donnell in the centre proving very difficult to break down, after further huge tackles Knaresborough were penalised for holding on, and Foster slotted over a further penalty. Knaresborough responded with excellent work from their inside centre and pacy wing, but the Otliensians remained solid and well drilled in defence. 67 minutes in to the game Birch again kicked superbly behind Knaresborough, and with a great chase forced the charge down for the pursuing Lee O'Donnell to gather and score on the right, Foster again added a superb conversion. Further pressure in the 70th minute lead to Foster extending the lead to 23 - 0, which brought Knaresborough back in to the game with sustained forward pressure leading to a try wide out on the right following another trade mark maul.

Otliensians were however to have the last word as they once again drove Knaresborough off their own ball, for No 8 Markus Keinhorst to pick up at the base, evade desperate defenders and stretch over the line in the left corner, although Foster could not convert, the final score of 28 -5 was fair reward for a disciplined and enterprising display.

The semi final of the Yorkshire Silver Trophy will be against higher league opposition Wath on Dearne on Saturday at Chaffers Field, kick off 3 pm.