match reports rogues gallery club stuff

OLD OTLIENSIANS 25 pts vs  BURLEY 11 pts

Old Otliensians progressed to the quarter final of the Yorkshire Silver  Trophy with a well constructed victory over a Burley side full of endeavour, who had already gained promotion to Yorkshire Division 4 for next season, still been unbeaten in the league this season.

Burley elected to play with the elements in the first half, and after a very bright Otliensians start, where they established a dominance in the scrum, Burley managed to convert a long range penalty to take the lead after 7 minutes. This again roused the home forwards who won possession for Ratahi to make an excellent break through the centre, with a well executed draw and pass leaving Arbuckle to charge unopposed to the line. Burley came back in to the game with their pacey outside centre beginning to show his skills, and after a further Burley penalty, Smith the Otliensians skipper was very  harshly sin binned on 21 minutes, leading to a well executed Burley move  using the extra man to good advantage for the outstanding centre to out pace the defence to touch down in the left corner.

The Otliensians forwards began to apply increasing pressure with the front three of Bonner, Lyons and Percy crushing the life from their Burley counterparts, the back three of Duggan, O'Donnell and Arbuckle dominating the loose, with Woods and Smith providing the hard yards, it was only a matter of time before a further try, which came on the stroke of half time. A clean catch from the line out was driven on by the trade mark Otliensians dynamic maul, as the ball was released by Birch, Duggan came on a sublime
angle, hitting the space to make the half time score 10 - 11.

It only needed 3 minutes of the second half for Otliensians to take the lead, Duggan ripping the ball from the Burley forwards, before Arbuckle took it on through 50 metres, it was released and excellent hands by Keinhorst, Foster and Ratahi gave left wing Hayward the overlap and easy score.

The Otliensians patterns of play were gelling, but Burley were not for giving any ground, and began to contribute their own style, mainly through quick ball to the backs, but the frequency was less as energy drained. On 55 minutes a Foster penalty extended the lead, and following further excellent work by Birch and Duggan, Ratahi was released 25 metres out, pivoting through tackles to score by the left post, Foster converting for a well deserved 25 - 11 victory, to which Burley's contribution should not be underestimated, as they played some attractive rugby throughou the game.

Report supplied by the coach, Gary Walker.