match reports rogues gallery club stuff

17 pts Old Otliensians 1stXV vs Hornsea 1stXV 6 pts

  2007.03.03 090
Taki on the charge, on his debut for Ensians

See more Photos here!

Old Otliensians 2ndXV vs Leeds Metropolitan

  2007.03.03 037
Bower tries to free the ball up (he had to leve the field injured shortly after this)

See more Photos here!

Otley 4thXV vs Old Otliensian 3rdXV

  2007.03.03 073
Lofty makes an appearance for the opposition

See more Photos here!


The teams assembled for this local derby with Otley keen to avenge a defeat by their local rivals last month. In the absence of a referee, Viscounts’ skipper Jamie Chapple valiantly stepped into the breach and ‘Ensians winger Steve Lofthouse was loaned to Otley to make up a full side.

The game started at a fast pace and, when loose ball was moved quickly by the visiting half backs Andy Causer and Jim McDougall, centre Ben Robinson cut through in style from fifty yards to score half way out. The conversion failed to give ‘Ensians a 5 point lead after five minutes.

With a much bigger pack, Otley were stung into action and through good driving and backing-up, they were rewarded with a try ten minutes later to level the scores at 5 apiece. At this stage Otliensians’ centre Ben Robinson was replaced by newcomer Richard Gill, playing his first game for fifteen years. Although Viscounts had a weight advantage in the scrums, the visiting front row of Chris Myers, John Offer and Steve Robinson managed to hold their own and from a series of strong drives from Andy Wood, Ray Drake and Richard Wardak, McDougall was on hand to dive over. The conversion failed and ‘Ensians kept their five point lead as half time approached.

A clearing kick by the visitors was gathered by loaned player Steve Lofthouse who eluded several tackles to set up a good attacking position for Viscounts. The ball was moved wide and Otley went over to level the scores at 10 all at the break.

In the second period Dave Beardsley replaced injured prop Chris Myers for the visitors as Otley launched a series of attacks through their speedy backs. Despite strong defence from centres Rob Gray and Richard Gill, Viscounts scored wide out and a good conversion gave them a 17 – 10 lead. Both sides competed strongly and, with Alan Garnett getting a good supply of ball from the lineout, ‘Ensians attacked through Jim McDougall and his centres Gray and Gill. With good support from flankers John Broadbent and Ray Drake, Rob Gray forced his way over. McDougall’s conversion levelled the score at 17 all with fifteen minutes remaining.

The big Otley pack made ground through a series of rolling mauls and ‘Ensians had to defend strongly for long periods with full back Sean Flesher, returning after injury, having to make last-ditch tackles. Newcomer Sam Gray replaced Dan Garnett on the wing as play moved from end to end. With a few minutes remaining and a draw looking likely, Otley kicked through and their strong follow-up put pressure on the ‘Ensians defence, allowing the Viscounts to scoop-up spilled ball and go over near the posts. The conversion put Otley in the lead at 24 – 17 with four minutes to go.

‘Ensians responded vigorously, but the Viscounts’ defence held out with the final score at 24 – 17. For ‘Ensians, newcomers Richard Gill and Sam Gray acquitted themselves well. Also, credit must go to both teams for an entertaining game played in a good spirit and particularly to Viscounts’ skipper Jamie Chapple for a first class performance with the whistle.