match reports rogues gallery club stuff


On another stormy November Saturday afternoon at Chaffers Field, the Otliensians conundrum may finally be unravelling, with the first sustained performance of the season, which whilst not quite perfect, showed enough of the undoubted skills of the team to fully merit this 7 try demolition, of a game and committed Corinthians side.

The game started with Kristian Keinhorst once again controlling the game suberbly from stand off, using the elements to considerable advantage, driving Corinthians back with searching touch finders, from one such, a line out ball was stolen, great hands swept the ball between the whole team, for Arbuckle to draw the last man to put winger Jon Woods over on the right.

Birch was also controlling the ball well with the boot, and from a delicate chip through, Kristian Keinhorst won the race for the touchdown, for Foster to add the conversion in very difficult conditions.

The patterns of play continued, with several forward surges being repelled by a strong Corinthians defence, but gaps were beginning to appear, and flanker Duggan was released on the blindside to dive in at the right corner. The supporters were wondering, could this be the day that all the promise was fulfilled? They were not disappointed, as one of the success stories of the season Tom O'Donnell took the ball on the Corinthians 22 and rampaged through 4 defenders to score his first ever try for the first XV.

At 22 - 0 approaching half time, Corinthians again upped their work rate, with their right wing forcing his way over after sustained pressure and phase play, a just reward for their never say die attitude.

Ensians began the second half as they had the first, dominating possession, particularly at the contact area, and driving the Corinthians scrum back at a rate of knots, Foster landed an excellent penalty into the wind, and after Arbuckle picked up from the base of another driving scrum to score the fifth try, the Ensians conundrum was beginning to look a little less predictable.

With the scrum so dominant due to the outstanding work of Lyon, Bonner and Cook, and the contact area secured by Hanogue, Tom Woods and the back row, this performance was completed with two more excellent tries, the first an exquisite blindside move, executed by Birch and Keinhorst, with Jon Woods outpacing the defence for his second try. From the kick off strong work from Smith, linking with Ratahi and Lee O'Donnell, then back in to the forwards left Duggan to surge 30 metres to the line, for Foster to again convert.

Through all this Corinthians had maintained an admirable determination and with the last play of the game scored a try wide out on the right, but there was no denying the Ensians on this day, performing for the whole of the game to a standard that was appreciated by the rain soaked crowd, who await Bramley next week for further evidence that the conundrum may be finally been laid to rest.

John Woods scores

Otliensians 2nd XV 64 pts v Wharfedale XV 7pts

The Dalesmen arrived with a weak side and borrowed Ben Newall to play on the wing. Otliensians kicked off into the crosswind and a good handling move gave left wing Jason Babb a scoring chance after 3 mins. Both sides tried with some success to handle the ball in the poor weather but Ensians soon added another try from John Smith after a sparkling move, stand off Phil Purnell converting. Ensians pack were playing constructive rugby and were well on top in the tight. On 16 mins scrum half Andy Causer broke from a scrum 40m out and scampered over to score, Purnell again adding the points.

With skipper Andy Bower urging his men on , the home side were just to quick for Wharfedale but the visitors began to string together some passages of play and tested the home side defence. Late in the half , Brett Tenniswood sparked off a move; the ball went to Purnell who fed right wing Richard Cuff who broke through several tackles to score despite damaged ribs. Purnell converted to give Ensians a 26 - pts lead at the break.

Wharfedale were by no means finished and directly after halftime probed deep into the Ensians half scoring a converted try. Both teams were guilty of trying to handle poor ball in their own 22m and the visitors paid the penalty when Bower tapped through a dropped pass to force his way over and score, Purnell again converting. By now the Ensians pack were dominant in the loose and a Cuff soon scored his second try with another forceful run, Purnell adding the points. Immediately after, Ben Smith broke from halfway and scored with a determined run wide on the left and this was followed by a good break by his brother John whose well timed pass led to no 8 Matt Taylor scoring, Tom Twist converting. A break by Bower then put John Smith in to score  Twist again converting with a neat drop kick. Finally Cuff rounded off the afternoon with a hat trick. Things will no doubt be different when Ensians visit Wharfedale in February.

Harrogate Pirates 45 pts v Otliensians 3rd XV 0 pts

Visiting old friends the Pirates, Otliensians borrowed a player to even the sides up. In the early stages the visitors won good ball from the tight and Alan Garnett took clean ball at no 2 in the lineout. This enabled Otliensians to set up some good attacking positions but they were just not able to score. With the home side losing a front row player and with no other front row available the scrums were uncontested from late in the first half. Harrogate's experience gradually began to tell and they scored three tries , two of which were converted to give them a 19 - 0 pts lead at halftime.

Just before the break Ensians lost prop Chris Myers injured and at the break the sides were reorganised to give a 12 a side game.

In the second half Harrogate soon rattled up four further tries and after 20 mins with further injuries and in deteriorating weather conditions with the players well and truly soaked, the game was abandoned.

For the Ensians John Offer in his first game for the Club had a storming game at hooker and John Broadbent had another good game in the back row. Will Haines captained the side from stand off and held the side together well.

On Saturday the 1st XV play Bramley Phoenix at home in the League whilst the 2nd XV are at Bramley in a Merit Table game. The 3rd XV are also scheduled at home to Moortown 3rd XV.